eCommerce is a growing industry. An estimated 1.92 billion digital customers will be shopping globally by the end of 2019.
With a population hovering around 7.7 billion, that means nearly a quarter of the world’s population is already shopping online. Moreover, that number is expected to grow exponentially, leading to an estimated 2.14 billion shoppers by 2021.
In other words, you’ve done well to position yourself as an eCommerce business. However, while conducting business online can be lucrative, it also poses certain risks.
Some of the most significant risks threatening eCommerce retailers today include:
- Malware, phishing, ransomware, hacking, and spam can cost a business hundreds of thousands, and even millions, of dollars resulting from system downtime and losses in online reputation.
- Reliability of computing systems. Downtime can lead to lost sales, and online payment systems can experience bugs and slow performance speeds.
- Privacy concerns. Protecting consumer information, especially personal information and credit card numbers, is paramount.
- Fraud concerns. Credit card mishaps may result when someone uses a stolen credit card to make an online purchase or when a hacker steals credit card information from a server.
How Can A Dedicated Server Help?
Fortunately, using a dedicated server can help mitigate many of the risks of running an eCommerce business. A dedicated server, as the name implies, is a space that is entirely yours. Unlike shared servers, you are the only one occupying the space on the server, which has several documented benefits.
- Your business will experience better performance. At the most basic level, you will enjoy faster download speeds, better bandwidth, and more CPU power and RAM than you would if you were sharing a server with other websites.
- You can enjoy more flexibility. A dedicated server allows you to scale your business operations with your busy seasons. If you anticipate a sales-heavy time, for example, you can make sure that your server has enough space and speed to handle your peak business times.
- You can enjoy enhanced security. When you use shared hosting, you never know who else you could be sharing space with – it could be hackers, spammers, or malicious entities trying to steal customer information. Dedicated server hosting is the best way to ensure that your customer information remains protected.
- You’ll get your IP address. For ranking purposes, having a unique IP address is essential. Sharing a space with a site that contains spam, for example, can drag your website down and ultimately affect your SEO.
When choosing a dedicated server, your business has two main options: buying and maintaining all the components or outsourcing to a host. Hosting allows you to save money on your IT costs while still reaping the benefits of enhanced performance, faster speeds, and better security.
Though dedicated server hosting costs are more relative to shared hosting, the benefits outweigh any price tag difference.
Those who run eCommerce sites have a lot to consider when expanding their businesses and protecting their customers.
Who can mitigate many of the potential risks in running an eCommerce business, such as cybersecurity, fraud potential, and privacy concerns, using a dedicated server?
By protecting customer information and powering your site’s performance, dedicated server hosting allows your business to grow.
ReliableSite is a hosting company that offers dedicated server solutions to meet a variety of needs. With data centres in four locations across the United States, ReliableSite servers offer low latency, excellent security, and 24/7 technical support.